- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 2007, magna cum laude,
University of Cincinnati Law Review, Managing Editor, 2006-2007
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable John D. Holschuh, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2007-2009
Joe is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group. He has successfully represented large corporations, small businesses, and individuals in a wide variety of cases in both federal and state courts at the trial and appellate levels. His practice consists primarily of complex civil litigation, including specific experience with cases involving the False Claims Act, the AntiKickback Statute and Stark Law, insurance disputes, consumer class actions, corporate and government investigations, trade secret and intellectual property disputes, noncompete provisions, and general breach of contract, fraud, and business torts. In addition, Joe has experience with white collar criminal defense work.
Notable experience includes:
- Defending health care entities and defense contractors in False Claims Act Litigation
- Obtaining a declaration on summary judgment worth more than $60 million in insurance coverage
- Successfully representing and obtaining dismissals and summary judgments in favor of numerous health care entities and government contractors in False Claims Act litigation and investigations
- Successfully defending large life insurers in a putative class action alleging misrepresentations and breaches of contract
- Representing a large biotechnology company against claims stemming from development of medical devices
- Resolving complex arbitration proceedings involving breach of contract allegations in favor of large engine manufacturer
Joe is a member of the Cincinnati Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association
Joe received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law where he was managing editor of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. with highest honors from the University of Michigan.
Joe served as a law clerk to the Honorable John D. Holschuh, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cincinnati and Federal Bar Associations
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL) – Class XX
- Potter Stewart Inn of Court – Barrister
- 4/8/2019Whistleblower Defense Alert: District Court Holds that DOJ Can Still Dismiss Qui Tam Cases After It Declines To Intervene—With No Justification Required for DismissalIn a recent decision, the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota held that the Department of Justice (DOJ) can still dismiss a qui tam filed under the False Claims Act even after it has declined to intervene in the case.